After running pain in ankle: causes of pain in the foot
Many people during training or workout in the fitness center on the treadmill can see that they have after running a sore ankle. The reason that there is pain in the lower extremities, can be quite diverse.
The ankle consists of three main bones – fibula, tibia and talus, which are interconnected with tendons. The ankle joint has the ability to move due to the presence of a group of muscles that help the foot to bend and straighten. If damaged tendons, muscles or ligaments of a person usually experiences severe pain.
In General, pain in the lower leg area are not uncommon, and often do not require urgent treatment. They can appear due to prolonged static load on the lower limbs, prolonged walking or running, excessive physical activity, prolonged sitting or standing.
Including pain can occur if people have not performed physical exercises.
Symptoms of pain
When pain in the foot or lower leg caused by mechanical damage, dislocation, sprains, need immediately seek medical help from a doctor.
Most often, when injury in the ankle lead to pain, form swelling and bruising of the ankles, due to which a person becomes very difficult to step on the lower injured limb.
Similar symptoms can occur when damage to the tendons, cartilage, blood vessels. Sometimes the pain extends to the foot, knee, Shin and thigh. Usually pain localized in the region of the tibia, on the outer side of the lower limb, below the knee. The affected area is about 10-15 cm in length.
Discomfort often occur at the time of exercise and gradually decrease after exercise. As a rule, such pain does not have strong character. Meanwhile, if the sports person starts to feel bad, you need to pause the workout.
Depending on the type of disease, the patient may feel tingling on the skin of the lower limbs, dragging feeling after a run, throbbing pain.
Why hurt ankle
In addition to stretching and injury of the lower extremities, pain in the ankle and foot after running can occur for several reasons.
- Gout inflamed big toe on the foot and leg. This occurs because of a defect in production of uric acid, disorders of metabolism or too active production of uric acid by the body. As a result, joints and blood vessels of the deposited salt crystals and an acid that causes pain after running in the foot and ankle.
- Arthritis likewise deposited uric acid crystals, affecting the ankle joint. Thus the patient feels severe and sudden pain accompanied by swelling of the lower limbs. Most often this disease affects large joints of the lower extremities and is found in people aged.
- In the case of osteoarthritis is the wear and tear of the cartilage which deforms the joint and not allow it to move. In advanced form of the disease the cartilage disappear, causing the bones begin to RUB against each other. This in turn weakens the muscles and ligaments and causes pain.
- Psoriatic arthritis usually accompanied by psoriasis of the skin. Psoriasis is a skin disease of a chronic nature, which manifests itself in the form of dry red spots on body covered with scales. In this condition, arthritis has a moderate form, and the defeat exposed just certain joints. The disease most often affects the ends of the fingers of the hands and feet, which produce swelling of the joints and skin, as well as pain in his ankle.
- In rheumatoid arthritis inflamed ankle joint and its surrounding tissue. A similar disease is formed as a result of a failure of the immune system. For this reason, there is a severe girdle pain in the ankle.
- Septic arthritis manifests itself in the form of joint inflammation due to bacterial activity. Such infection may occur after receiving an open injury or surgery. In this patient swell up the affected joint, he feels severe pain in the ankle and fever.
In addition to disease, pain in the foot and calf after running can cause all sorts of factors. So, prolonged physical exertion or overexertion cause spasm of the muscles. The reason may be decrease in the body concentration of sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium.
When pain is felt only after running or intense walking, the reason may lie in chronic calcium deficiency, rickets, senile osteoporosis, osteomalacia. The main symptom of these diseases are pain with a little pressure on the joints and bones.
Often feet hurt after people for a long time been stationary. This is not due to diseases of the joints, and atrophy of the ligaments and muscles. Similar feelings arise with a sharp increase in the weight of the patient for a minimum period of time or for long-term heavy physical load on the lower limbs.
Also on the condition of the joints affects the intake of medicines, reducing the concentration of cholesterol, salts and damaging muscle tissue. From physical causes to the pain result in injuries that cause ligament damage, Shin fracture, damage to meniscus.
Acute pain after running is usually seen in smokers for a long time patients. The condition improves after rest easy, however these symptoms first reported that the man has health problems and requires a change of lifestyle. To prevent the development of diseases of the cardiovascular system, the doctor may prescribe a complete examination.
If the cause of the pain lies in the deep vein thrombosis, a serious danger to the patient exists. However, the disease requires mandatory treatment to prevent the appearance of complications. This in turn can cause a clot gets into the brain or the lungs.
Compression of tissue is considered a serious disease that occurs after the area Glenny is an was under considerable pressure. This syndrome periods provokes extravasation of blood to the muscles, constriction of blood vessels and nerve fibers. On the foot there is swelling, temperature increases in the region of the tibia and the patient feels severe pain not only after running, but also in a calm state. If time does not begin necessary treatment, muscle atrophy may lead to «dangling foot».
With an open fracture, if the patient has a weakened immune system sometimes develop a complication osteomielita. In this case, the doctor prescribes medication, it is required to operate the damaged joint.
In order to get rid of the pain, use the following recommendations:
- The first thing that the pain is gone, you need to avoid physical overload and to protect the joint from damage. Preferably the feet to rest for several days.
- With an unstable ankle need to remove the main weight of the foot. For this you can use a special orthopedic appliance, crutches or a cane.
- If you have swelling in your ankle it is recommended to hold the leg raised for at least 15 minutes. Reduce pain and swelling after running or other physical activity will help compress using ice to attach to the leg daily for 10-15 minutes.
- In the treatment of severe pain and swelling in the lower extremities, doctors recommend the use of Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen to alleviate discomfort. However, if on the Shin regularly have a heavy load, it is necessary to pass full inspection and diagnose the disease.
How to cure pain in the foot and ankle
As the cause of pain may be different, you need to find out what provokes discomfort. First, it is important to ensure the quality and convenience of wearable shoes, as this is often the root cause pain in the foot and lower leg.
If the patient is diagnosed with a dislocated foot in the ankle area or it often gets the same injury, the doctor prescribes the passage of x-rays to get detailed information about the disease. When the dislocation is superimposed plaster bandage to the injured joint is not moved and the ligaments can knit together. To speed recovery it is recommended that a long rest for the lower limbs.
In the treatment of dislocation of the tibia also given oral pain relievers and steroids. When the condition of the joints improves, speed up the rehabilitation process help physiotherapy. In addition, you must comply with special medical diet, not to forget about taking vitamins and minerals to do gymnastics and to lead a healthy lifestyle.
If pain occur in the night period, it is recommended to change the position of the lower limbs and to adopt the most convenient posture to the pain should subside and disappear. Special light exercise will help to stretch the muscles, tendons and ligaments to reduce the risk of edema formation and swelling.
Strengthening the ankle
To strengthen the joint, it is necessary in the summer often go without shoes. The best exercise is walking on small pebbles or sand. For this exercise you can use the tray in which the sand is filled with pebbles. On a loose surface you need to drag their bare feet in the morning and evening.
- Also helps daily walk on the inner and outer sides of the feet. It is recommended to pass on the outer sides of the stop from one room to another and come back on the inner sides. Better to give up wearing Slippers. If the floor is cold – it is better to wear warm socks.
- Every day in a sitting position you need to perform a circular exercise for the feet. Legs held the weight, the feet rotate outward first, then inward. Is not more than 20 spins in both directions.