Urine smells like acetone in women, men, infants: causes
Urine in people who are not sick, has no foreign smell, so the cases where the urine smells like acetone, should be alerted. Some people are convinced that change odor urine is associated with changes in the diet. However, this is not always the case, changes in smell can indicate the presence of severe disease, therefore person is important to immediately seek the advice of a specialist in such situations.
How to determine why the urine began to smell like acetone?
Urine with a strong smell of acetone can be formed due to the fact that carbohydrates that enter the body with food, do not participate in the exchange of substances with the fats and proteins and are split into the basics of wine sugar, not digesting. Because of this there is defective energy metabolism. Ketone bodies or acetone are a part of the substances which appear in the process of oxidation of protein and fat. To neutralize them, the body activates the alkali contained in the blood. Over time, the reserves of alkali over that may lead to serious condition — acetone coma.
Define ketone bodies in these ways:
- Special test strips, which are represented in the pharmacy. They are dipped into the urine and if it’s pink it means that the urine contains acetone, if the strip is purple, it indicates the development acetonuria.
- The blood study sugar levels.
- Blood for biochemical analysis.
- An ultrasound of the pancreas, kidneys and liver.
- The computer tomography.
Causes acetonuria in adults
Pathological causes of smell of acetone in the urine of the adult are:
- The development of diabetes or disorders in the pancreas of induced diabetes.
- The increased body temperature. Most often due to colds.
- Poisoning the body with alcohol.
- Low blood glucose, which occurs due to the increased amount of insulin.
- The depletion of the body.
- Severe anaemia.
- Cancers in the gastrointestinal tract.
- The effects of anesthesia.
- Poisoning with metals.
- Damage to the Central nervous system.
In addition, a strong smell of urine affects and some foods, and certain medicines. A small concentration of acetone in the urine are valid and can vary from 25 to 50 milligrams a day. People who a prolonged period of dieting, involving a low content of carbohydrates or their complete absence, often increases the content of acetone in the body.
Urine with a smell of acetone in healthy humans is due to:
- large concentrations in the menu of a meal containing animal protein;
- broken drinking regime;
- excessive physical exertion.
Acetonuria the child
The kids are older
In cases where a child has had a sudden loss of appetite, pain in stomach, weakness, and vomiting, this may indicate acetonuria. It is important not to resort to self-treatment, and to seek help from a specialist. Often a situation when urine in children smells like acetone, provoke disorders in the pancreas. However, there are other factors affecting the acetone pungent smell of urine:
- changes in the diet;
- eating excessively fatty foods;
- the intake of products containing flavor enhancers, colors and preservatives;
- heavy physical exertion;
- a large amount of used antibiotics.
In infants urine can also strongly smell of acetone it most often indicates the presence of several factors resulting in a change of smell of urine. These include:
Smell of acetone in the urine during pregnancy
Smell of acetone in the urine of women during pregnancy is considered an unfavorable sign. First need to visit a doctor who will prescribe examination to detect the presence in the body of ketone bodies. If their number does not exceed the permissible norm, often the cause of changed smell of urine acts violated protein breakdown. This occurs due to changes in diet. In addition, a condition when urine smells like acetone, can cause the following factors:
- high loads on the psyche in the process of pregnancy and before her;
- the deterioration of immunity;
- a meal that contain fragrances and unnatural dyes;
- morning sickness with vomiting.
Acetonuria symptoms in women and men
Apart from changing the smell of urine in women and men have the following symptoms:
- A reduced appetite. Applies not only to eating, but also for the rejection of liquid.
- The meal is accompanied by nausea and retching.
- Pain in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Change the color of the skin.
- Dry mouth.
Treatment of the disease
First, the patient will need to visit a specialist who will identify the causes of development acetonuria and assign the correct comprehensive treatment. Most often, treatment consists of such stages:
- The treatment of diseases which were the cause of the smell of acetone. For example, if the patient has diabetes, the therapy will include the use of insulin.
- The purpose of the enemas that will help to lower the toxicity.
- The medication of chelators that will help rid your body of harmful toxins. Most often appoint a «POLYSORB» and «Enterosgel». For these purposes, the use of the usual activated charcoal.
- If the smell of acetone in the urine appeared during pregnancy, they prescribe recovery solution. In addition, doctors recommend drinking tea with sugar in small amounts.
- Drinking mineral water containing alkali.
In cases where the concentration of acetone in the body is small, experts are only limited recommendations for change of diet and lifestyle. However, if the patient has excessively high amount of ketone bodies, doctors hospitalitynet patient. Person prescribed a number of drugs for the treatment of acetonuria, the most commonly used of which are «Regidron» and «Oral». Also resorting to the help of injections «Cerucal» if the patient starts vomiting. In combination with medication is recommended to use and folk remedies. Good fights with elevated levels of acetone, a decoction of various dried fruits and dried medicinal infusion of chamomile.
In order to avoid the appearance of urine odor of acetone in both men and women, experts recommend to adhere to certain rules. For example, lead an active lifestyle and spending time outdoors. It is important to remember that at this time should not be excessive to overload the body with physical activity. You need to follow a diet that should be healthy and balanced. It is important to avoid overeating and eat in small portions at least 4 times a day. In addition, it is recommended to exclude from the menu is too greasy and spicy food, fast food and a variety of canned food. Preference should be given to a large number of fruits and vegetables. You need to follow a regime of drinking, drinking in a day at least 2 liters of liquid. The monitoring has to be sleep mode.