Urinary retention in women and men: causes, what treatment
Not verifiable cessation of urination is an important issue. Urinary retention in women and men (ischuria) — a pathological condition caused by different reasons and has various manifestations. The malaise in the absence of proper treatment is fraught with complications and the transition from acute to chronic. Why is there obstructed flow of urine how to diagnose and cure the pathology?
Ischuria — a state of detention of urine, during which it is impossible to empty the bladder, despite the fact that it is full. This state, in consequence of which moves badly urine, occurs not only in adults but also in children. There are several types of ischuria, each of which has its own characteristic symptoms. In addition, men and women the causes and symptoms of pathology different from each other, respectively, and the treatment of this condition will be different.
Types and forms of urinary retention
Depending on the symptoms of the disease there is a classification of types and forms of obstructed urine separation. Thus, the types of urinary retention:
- The total delay of the outflow of urine — a condition in which urine moves not even in the apparent urge to urinate. In this type of ailments we have to use a tube to drain urine from the bladder.
- Partial delay of urine separation. Can accompany the patient for a long time, but the attention it does not attach. Incomplete emptying of urine moves badly. She stands out in a small volume or intermittent streams — during the process you have to strain the muscles of the body.
- Paradoxical delay. In this type of the disease the bladder is overly filled, but it is impossible to void. Urine comes out involuntarily from the urethra.
Form of the disorder:
- Acute retention of urine. Has rapid onset: aching in the lower abdomen and appear to be a repeated desire to urinate. Quick start gives way to the same quick end. Men carry the acute form of the disease much harder than women.
- Chronic urinary retention. Process in remission mainly occurs quietly, without the appearance of special symptoms. People are often not even aware of the existence of the illness and only during exacerbation of the disease, caused by certain factors, you can identify with the diagnosis of his chronic.
Causes of urinary retention
- An existing obstacle which prevents the normal separation of urine from the bladder. Obstacle there may be various diseases of the genitourinary system (an inflamed prostate, kidney stones, malignant tumors in the rectum causing obstruction).
- The valves of a back urethra — the folds of the mucous membrane of the urethra can delay the outflow of urine.
- Neurological diseases — stroke, epilepsy, concussion, Parkinson’s disease, etc.
- A deliberate delay occurs when a strong nervous breakdown, in a state of fear and in the postoperative period.
- Causes of acute urinary retention — side effects of uncontrolled use of certain drugs.
Causes of obstructed outflow of urine in men
- Adenoma of the prostate.
- Violated the separation of urine (delay or total lack of urination) in prostatitis in the acute stage. The symptoms of acute prostate also accompanied by sharp pain in the kidneys and in the urethra, increased body temperature and signs of intoxication.
Causes the condition in women
Acute urinary retention in the female half of the population provoked by such factors:
- Prolapse of internal genital organs (uterus, vagina).
- A difficult birth and as a result, urine moves badly.
- Age-related changes. Often appears acute urinary retention in women in old age. This interferes with the patency of the urethra.
- Stop urination after surgery on the urogenital organs.
- Mental disorders and nervous diseases.
- The reason for the delay of urine is a malignant tumor of one of the internal genital organs.
- Urinary retention during pregnancy (in most cases, ectopic) and after childbirth.
Ischuria in children
The delay of urination as ischuria, and occurs in childhood. So the causes of pathology in children:
- In boys the cause of the disease can be a ailment that is associated with the reduction and decrease in the outer parts of the genitals (phimosis). At this disease the lumen for separating the urine is very small or completely closed. Inability to urinate -a condition requiring urgent surgical intervention.
- The girls are very susceptible to disturbances associated with the outflow of urine. Cause of disorders are injuries of the perineum and pathology of structural features of the ureter.
The symptoms of malaise
The main symptom of disease — the inability to completely empty the bladder. The chronic form is asymptomatic. Related signs of urinary retention are:
- abdominal pain (mostly with constipation);
- bloating, which is accompanied by increased gas formation in the intestine;
- frequency of urination and pain when urinating;
- subject discomfort at the beginning of urination, and as a result — pain in the abdomen;
- leakage or, conversely, complete absence of urine in the bladder (a condition that is called anuria).
Diagnostic studies can identify the disease in its early stages and to choose the appropriate course of treatment. The acute form of the disease can be diagnosed using such methods:
- Under medical inspection of the patient (percussion and palpation of the suprapubic region).
- Differential diagnosis of pain syndrome in acute delay of urine.
- Ultrasound examination of the pelvic organs.
- Meccinna cystourethrography — contrast study of the bladder and urethra.
- IVP — study, allowing to see the kidneys, bladder and other organs of the urinary tract. Used to diagnose stones in the bladder and kidneys, malignant tumors, and blockage of the urinary tract.
- CT. Very effective and expensive method of diagnosis, replacing ultrasonography and x-rays.
Treatment of pathology
Urinary retention in men and women treated with different conservative methods: with the help of medications and therapy folk remedies at home. In terms of the ineffectiveness of conservative methods of treatment assumes surgery — surgery on the organs of the urogenital area.
The algorythm of emergency aid for women is made after the exact cause that triggered this condition. At the beginning of therapy urinary retention is catheterization of the bladder (the urine output is carried out using a special tube — catheter). Urolithiasis prescribers, which upon receipt of a dissolution and removal of stones from the body. In the postpartum period the medical treatment involves taking antidepressants, antispasmodics, diuretics. When the prolapse of internal genital organs are shown only surgery called colpopexy.
The man required emergency aid at acute urinary retention. In that condition, when it is not the urine into the urethra is inserted a tube, through which there is a gradual branch. Only after emptying the bladder, and the diagnosis, physician claims diagnosis, and appoints a specific treatment. Alpha-blockers (a drug «Artezin», «Doxazosin», «Microsin»), are used as the basic corrective urodynamics medication. In the absence of a positive result in the treatment is a surgical procedure aimed at addressing the illness and bringing back to normal all the functions of the urinary tract.
Folk methods of treatment used together with primary therapy. Here are the most common prescriptions used to correct urination and to alleviate their painful symptoms:
- Take 1 tbsp of fennel seeds and birch buds. Mix both and pour 1 liter of boiling water. Infuse for 1 hour, then strain the liquid. Make the decoction 4 times a day. Drink a full glass before or after meals. This tool — first aid first aid is used in urinary retention. It is useful to relieve inflammation of the patient’s bladder and alleviate pain.
- An excellent remedy is the infusion made from the berries of mountain ash. Take 2 tbsp. berries, pour 0.5 liters of boiling water. Insist 2 hours and take 2 tablespoons three times a day before meals.
- The herb UVA URSI is good with signs of complicated urinary output, does not develop pain and relaxes the organs of the urinary tract. To make a decoction of bearberry is quite simple: take 1 tablespoon of herbs, pour a glass of boiling water and take 2 tbsp 3 times a day before meals. The one who treated the genitourinary organs by the bearberry, had long forgotten the existence of inflammation, and, especially, urological diseases.
Complete or incomplete separation of urine without the selection of proper treatment provokes even more problems with urination. Complications of acute urinary retention:
- The appearance of blood clots in the urine.
- Inflammation of the bladder.
- Inflammation right or left kidney.
- The sudden failure of the kidneys — acute renal failure (ARF). Can in a short period of time to make a healthy person bedridden patient.
What to do for prevention?
Preventive measures are aimed at preventing disease and ischuria include the implementation of such rules:
- The restriction of alcohol.
- Avoidance of hypothermia.
- Men after the age of 40 should visit the urologist to treat urological diseases, at least 1 time per year. Women need to visit the gynecologist often — 2 times a year.
- Promptly treat inflammation in the body and diseases of the urogenital sphere (not to develop chronic diseases).
- To avoid injuries to organs of the urogenital area.
- Before the use of any medication should first consult a physician in order not to provoke the appearance of such side effect as delay of urination.
Prevention should be carried out to everyone, no matter healthy or sick. Any pathology of the process of urination, involving men, women, or children, requires immediate referral to a health facility. Timely diagnosis and a specific treatment will prevent negative health consequences.