Urinary incontinence in men: treatment, causes, medications, and folk remedies
Many men after 40 years there are various ailments associated with impaired urination. Urinary incontinence in men — a condition characterized by the uncontrolled separation of urine. This pathology affects the quality of life and brings considerable discomfort to its owner. What causes urinary incontinence in elderly men and adult men? What is the treatment required to get rid of this disease?
The types of urinary incontinence
There are some types of incontinence:
- stress urinary incontinence in men — involuntary urination when coughing, sneezing, during laughter;
- urgent incontinence of urine — copious urine with a characteristic urge to urinate;
- enuresis — nocturnal incontinence in men during sleep.
Bedwetting in adults, men and urinary incontinence in older men, depending on duration, divided into subtypes:
- regular involuntary urination in men — every night is allocated a certain portion of urine;
- recurrent enuresis is intermittent (remission is replaced by a relapse and Vice versa).
- the absence of enuresis in adults and elderly men.
Nocturnal enuresis in adult men of Mature age may be of two types:
- congenital — there was yet a child;
- acquired appeared in the course of exposure to various negative factors or causes.
Causes of urinary incontinence in men:
- prostate disease (prostatitis, adenoma, prostate cancer);
- the effects of surgery when operating the prostate gland;
- dysfunction of the brain or spinal cord, responsible for the control of urination;
- sexual infections or infection of the organs of the urethra;
- kidney stone, kidney disease;
- neurological disease — atherosclerosis of brain vessels, stroke, migraine, etc.;
- causes bedwetting in men of advanced age — changes with age in the organs of the urogenital system, the so-called senile uncontrolled urination.
Symptoms of urinary incontinence in men
Spontaneous separation of the urine revealed such symptoms:
- frequency of urination;
- random urine in small portions day or night (eventually vitaceae urine volume will increase);
- pain in the region of the urinary organs and lower abdomen;
- urine contains blood clots;
- increases and keeps the body temperature, possible fever;
- General malaise and weakness.
Diagnostic activities to identify the types and forms of involuntary urination in men include:
- physical examination of a patient, including: introduction to the lifestyle, past illnesses, complaints of the patient;
- feeling and palpation of the prostate;
- records of controlled and uncontrolled urination;
- General clinical blood and urine tests;
- Ultrasound of organs of the urinary tract, prostate;
- x-ray examination;
- endoscopy of organs of genitourinary sphere;
- urodynamic study of the bladder is done to evaluate the nature of the violation involuntary urination.
Treatment of pathology
Pathology associated with urinary incontinence can be treated with specially selected therapeutic methods. Each patient these methods are chosen strictly individually. When conservative treatment and drug therapy do not bring proper results, the patient can be appointed surgery.
The most important condition for a speedy recovery — lifestyle changes men suffering from this disease. Here are some guidelines for urinary incontinence:
- First, we need to abandon such harmful habit as Smoking. Nicotine adversely affects the internal organs, the urogenital system, including. If it is impossible at once to give up cigarettes, you can do it gradually — Smoking every day smaller number of pieces.
- Secondly, you need to forget about alcohol or limit its intake to a minimum. Alcohol affects the functioning of the prostate and provokes aggravation of ailments associated with impaired urination. While treatment of disease and the intake of alcoholic beverages treatment will be at best fruitless, at worst, the disease enters the acute stage and to recover will be much harder.
- You need to pay attention to your physical health is to engage in any kind of sports, such as Jogging, swimming, Cycling or just walk into the gym. With everlasting employment and the lack of time you need at least to conduct daily morning exercises, to do Jogging in the morning.
- In the treatment of enuresis it is important that the sleep. You must sleep no less than 8-9 hours a day. To fall asleep in strictly designated time and also to Wake up. In sedentary work need to take breaks and walk around, flexing pelvic muscles.
Diet and proper nutrition
Diet plays an important role in the treatment of urinary incontinence. You should enter into the diet more foods rich in fiber, it is vegetables, fruits, porridges. This food is good to prevent constipation, which it is impossible to prevent incontinence. It is also worth to give up foods that irritate the bladder mucosa, it is spicy, salty, acidic food, oily and fried foods. From drinks to limit coffee, strong tea and sodas.
Exercises to strengthen bladder muscles and the pelvic floor has a positive effect on muscle tone and helps to normalize urination. Kegel exercise is one of the most common conservative methods of treatment of enuresis occurring in medical practice. The exercises thus:
- You need 10 or 20 times to compress and decompress the muscles during urination. This is a way of training the muscles of the pelvis and muscles of the colon.
- During urination you need to try to keep the jet for a couple seconds, then continue the process.
Cure of incontinence for men are appointed strictly physician. The most popular drugs prescribed for this ailment is:
- Alpha-blockers such as the drug «Artezin», «Pirroksan» and other similar medications. Their action is directed at improving the functioning of the prostate gland, normalization of urine outflow.
- Antispasmodic drugs. Used to mitigate the pain and reduce the muscle contractions of the bladder.
- Inhibitors of 5-alpha-reductase. Treatment with these drugs will reduce the frequency of uncontrolled urine separation or, conversely, its delay in the bladder.
With the failure of conservative and medical treatment, surgical intervention, including conducting the following operations:
- The introduction of ring valve of the bladder. This operation is carried out men with BPH, uncontrolled outflow of urine due to injury to the pelvic bones or muscles.
- Injection therapy. Periurethral collagen injections indicated for patients who have undergone surgery to remove cancerous tumors of the prostate. This method treats urinary incontinence in the elderly, but is not considered reliable enough.
- Sling (loop) operation. On the basis of medical practice, it is the most effective method of operative treatment, which is carried out behind the urethral polypropylene mesh, supporting the urethra and preventing the lack of control when urinating.
Treatment of folk remedies
Treatment of folk remedies carried out in the home, is considered a complementary method of treatment for male incontinence. Here are the most common recipes:
- Take 2 tsp. of herb plantain, pour 250 ml of boiling water. Aside for the infusion for 1 hour. Strain and take the infusion of 1 tablespoon 3 times a day half an hour before meals. This folk remedy is indicated for the treatment of urinary incontinence in men.
- Another folk remedy, by which it is possible to treat incontinence, the collection of medicinal herbs. Take each herb: 1 tsp — sage, St. John’s wort, centaury. Pour 1000 ml of boiling water. Infuse 1 hour, strain and drink 1 glass 3 times a day.
Additional treatments involve the healing and prevention of repeated recurrence of bedwetting. They include:
- Create a schedule of urination in which the time is specified urge and the volume of urine. It is advisable to visit the toilet at intervals of not less than 3 hours between each urge.
- The method of «secondary urination». After a few seconds after the first flow of urine, suggests to re-launch the process. This method allows you to gain control over the urine and to strengthen pelvic muscles.
The treatment of urinary incontinence in men is a long process requiring a special approach in the selection of therapy and positive attitude of the men on the result. Execution of all medical recommendations regarding diet, lifestyle and use of medicines, to avoid surgery and as painlessly as possible to cure the malaise.