Urinary incontinence during pregnancy: how to distinguish from water leaking
If you have trouble controlling your bladder, any urinary incontinence during pregnancy, do not worry. It is a common phenomenon in pregnant women when sneezing, coughing, laughing or exertion. This situation is annoying, women feel uncomfortable, but remember that this is normal and a temporary phenomenon. Incontinence leaking urine often, with a specific smell of ammonia.
What you need to know about bladder during pregnancy?
In varying degrees of urinary incontinence during pregnancy is experienced by all. Involuntary leakage of urine may be small and infrequent for some pregnant women. But can become a serious problem for others. Aggravate the problem or cause incontinence can food and medicine:
- caffeine, fizzy drinks.
- alcoholic beverages.
- medications that increase the production of urine (diuretics) or relax the bladder (antidepressants).
Age and body mass, risk factors for expectant mothers. After 35 years of pregnant women who are overweight are more prone to this condition. Incontinence can continue after pregnancy, immediately after childbirth. In pregnant women can develop problems:
- reluctance to go to public places because of the embarrassment;
- lost activity;
- irritation of the groin area due to frequent urination.
Doctors distinguish two types of incontinence in pregnancy:
- Also called stress incontinence when pressure. Caused by increased pressure on the bladder. Associated with the weakening of the pelvic floor muscles, manifests in the stress (weight lifting, coughing, etc.).
- Mandatory when the urge to urinate is accompanied by leakage.
- Mixed, a combination of stress and the imperative kinds.
The symptoms of incontinence
Urinary incontinence during pregnancy is the main sign is a problem controlling urination at the early stages of pregnancy. Symptoms of incontinence of urine:
- Involuntary discharge of oils, especially when coughing, sneezing or during laughter.
- The urine is secreted in small doses.
- Frequent urination, sudden and uncontrollable.
- Reasonable a small leak of urine out.
The causes of the disease
In the early and late stages of gestation urinary incontinence in pregnant women arise out of the same reasons:
- Increased pressure on the bladder. As a consequence, the tube of the bladder is not working well enough and occurs involuntary leakage of urine.
- Hyperactivity of the bladder. In this state women have to urinate more often than usual because their bladders have uncontrollable spasms. In addition, the muscles of the urethra can be stretched. If the bladder is greatly compressed, the muscles may not work.
- Muscle valve does not work. A pregnant woman, the uterus expands and puts pressure on the bladder. Pelvic muscles are overloaded and when additional pressure (coughing, sneezing) occurs involuntary leakage of urine.
- Damage to the nerves that control the bladder.
How to eliminate leakage of urine, arising during pregnancy?
Involuntarily leaking urine in pregnant women in the first trimester and the last. To eliminate this phenomenon doctors give these recommendations:
- Kegel exercises for the vaginal muscles — the best helper.
- Weight gain should be moderate, the body weight presses on the bladder.
- If urination occurs every 30 minutes, you need to extend the interval to every day.
- Avoid constipation during pregnancy to internal organs did not create additional pressure on the bladder.
- Continue to drink at least 8 glasses of liquids daily.
- Avoid coffee, citrus, tomatoes, soft drinks and alcohol — that can cause irritation of the bladder and the harder it will be to control leakage of urine.
- Special pads to help make incontinence a more comfortable in public places.
- When you cough, strain, laugh when you try to cross your legs.
Why during pregnancy you need to perform exercises from urinary incontinence?
To control the urine with the help of special exercises is not so difficult. Most importantly, implement all recommendations of the doctor on a regular basis. That is exercises that are easily performed in the home are used more often. In order to practice control of emissions of urine, use a chart or diary, where you record the time of urination and leakage of urine. Such records will provide an understanding of when and in what rhythm and pattern is the leakage of urine. In the future you can use these records.
When training the bladder, it is important to «stretch» the intervals of urination. For example, you may plan to go to the bathroom no more frequently than once per hour, and stick to that schedule for a long time. Then change the schedule to go to the toilet every 90 minutes. In the end, change the schedule to every two hours and continue to increase the interval time until you reach 3 or 4 hours between visits to the toilet.
Another way is to attempt to postpone the visit to the toilet within 15 minutes after the call. Do this for two weeks, and then increase the period to 30 minutes. In some cases, women use drugs to strengthen the muscles in the urethra. Some medications help reduce over-activity of the bladder.
Feature of kegels
Kegel exercises also help control incontinence oils to tighten and strengthen pelvic muscles, improve the function of the urethra and rectum. Perform Kegel exercises in the morning, afternoon and evening at any convenient time. Women who do Kegel exercises, you get the results in 4-6 weeks. One of the exercises looks like this: sitting on the toilet, start urinating. Then stop in the middle of the stream. Involved muscles are called Kegel muscles. To perform Kegel exercises, you must:
- relax the muscles in the abdomen, thighs, buttocks;
- to keep the pelvic muscles in tension for 10 seconds;
- in the end you need to relax completely.
If after giving birth for 4-6 weeks, the problem with incontinence of urine still worried — call your doctor. Random allocation urine indicates a problem with the bladder. Losing control of uric ways should be treated or the problem will be long-term.
As distinguished from the water leaking?
Leakage of water in pregnant women is the excretion of fluids, which consists of 98% water and 2% salts and cells of the fetus. This fluid keeps the baby warm, protects to develop the digestive and respiratory systems. When water leak — this doesn’t look like a water bag, which fell out immediately. It is rather a stream that flows slowly. How do you know about the leakage of amniotic fluid, because most women during pregnancy suffer from incontinence of urine, and these two processes are similar.
Most moms-to-be is difficult to understand. One way to answer this question is to determine by smell. Amniotic fluid has no color and smell. However, if it is a leak of urine, urine is easily identified by its colour and smell. If the leakage does not end, then surely it is water and you need to immediately go to the hospital.