Urinary incontinence after childbirth: what to do, treatment, causes
After childbirth most women faced with various health problems and ailments. Urinary incontinence after childbirth is one such problems relating to women giving birth. Most mothers see it as an embarrassing condition, and for a long time withheld from others the nature of your problem. This is wrong, busy position, in violation of normal functioning and adversely affecting health. Why birth provoke malaise, and how it can be saved?
Causes of urinary incontinence after childbirth
Urinary incontinence — a condition in which there is uncontrolled urination. In women after childbirth is often observed that condition, called stress. Uncontrolled urination when this anomaly happens during prolonged muscular work: tilt, sit-UPS, running, carrying heavy loads. Often experienced urinary incontinence in women during sex, when the tension of the hip muscles and the abdominal muscles.
The cause of this condition in the postpartum period supports the dysfunction of the pelvic floor. The failure occurs because of the load on the pelvic organs in the period of gestation after a complicated childbirth and cesarean section. Factors influencing the likelihood of ailments:
- big fruit;
- narrow pelvis mothers;
- operation — cesarean section;
- incorrect positioning of the fetus in the uterus;
- pregnancy more than one fetus;
- secondary to childbirth;
- rupture of the vaginal walls;
- excessive body weight;
- available diseases of the urinary organs (pyelonephritis, urethritis, cystitis, etc.)
The types of uncontrolled urination
In the postpartum period are likely of the following types of incontinence:
- Stress urinary incontinence (SUI) is an involuntary separation of urine when coughing, crying, with a loud laugh. This kind of incontinence in the majority of cases develop in the postpartum period.
- Urgent — urine separation (urine) frequent and intense urge to urination, inability to hold them back.
- Reflex occurs under the influence of inciting causes (water splashes, rain).
- Uncontrolled discharge of urine — slight separation of urine throughout the day.
- Enuresis — passage of urine at night.
- Leakage when the fullness of the bladder — under the influence of internal factors (existing infectious diseases of the urinary organs, the appearance of benign tumors).
Symptoms of the condition
Incontinence in women begin to show such symptoms:
- systematically and uncontrollably leaking urine;
- if leakage is allocated a large enough amount of urine;
- frequent leakage of urine during sex and physical work.
When women seldom mishaps, anyway, they should alert and encourage the new mother to resort to medical care. Timely treatment in a medical facility and identification of the disease will help to correct the condition, and to avoid the negative consequences. In the absence of abnormalities, the patient after the carried-out inspection will be calm for your health.
The severity of the disease
There are three degrees of severity of the ailment:
- Easy. Leakage of urine occurs when excessive muscular work (exercise, stress abdominal, gymnastics, running).
- Average. Symptoms manifested in a slight tension of the abdomen during crying of laughter, when coughing.
- Heavy. The leak happens at night (enuresis) when changing posture during sleep and for no apparent reason. Severe stage of the disease requires a professional approach in the selection of treatment.
Diagnostic procedures are performed by a specialist in this field, that is, a doctor — urologist. The attending doctor will examine the patient, conduct the test procedure (ask the woman to cough or strain the abdominal muscles) to check for spontaneous urination. If the test revealed a positive result, the woman will be outlining the time and cause involuntary urination. Based on these records, the doctor will choose certain tactics of treatment of this condition.
More accurate and rapid diagnostics includes the following activities:
- Renal ultrasound, pelvic organs.
- Laboratory tests of blood and urine.
- If you want to hold urodynamic testing is uroflowmetry. To determine disorders of the dynamics of the lower urinary tract.
- Cystometry — study, allowing to study pathology in the bladder.
- Profilometry urethral — urodynamic study, which enables evaluation the state of the urethra.
Treatment of pathology
Many women are ashamed and do not dare to tell the doctor about your malaise in the postpartum period, so as not to know that to cure the disease in the early stages it is possible with timely diagnosis. If mild disease is treated without surgery, severe form involves only surgery.
Conservative methods of therapy used in stress, the form of uncontrolled urination. It includes:
- exercises for the muscles of the vagina;
- training the bladder;
- physical therapy;
- the use of medicines.
Exercises for the muscles of the vagina
Hold the weights with the help of vaginal muscles. Take small weights with a maximum weight of 50 grams and placed in the vagina. Within 15 minutes the woman walks around the house doing his thing, while holding the weights in. The exercise is performed 3-4 times a day. Weight weights in the beginning of therapy will be minimal, each day gradually increasing. This exercise will help to manage the woman’s pelvic muscles and control the flow of urine.
The Kegel Exercise. The Foundation exercises are the clenching and unclamping the vaginal muscles. The exercise should be done at least a hundred times a day. During urination you need to try to hold back the flow of urine for a couple seconds, then continue the process. This exercise is very simple and does not require a designated time.
Training on means trips to the bathroom strictly on time. Incontinence in women a habit to urinate each time the slightest urge. The training program focused on increase in the time interval between urination. Strong impulses must be longer to contain and split times each time will become more and more. Gradually the patient will form a new habit that will allow you to sustain a certain interval between trips to the toilet. This special treatment method lasts from one to two months.
Physiotherapy used to reduce the increased activity of the muscles, expelling urine:
- Electromagnetic stimulation of the pelvic floor muscles.
- Electrical stimulation.
Medicinal drugs are prescribed to improve the hemodynamics (blood circulation) and as a source of essential vitamins. Certain drugs for treatment of urinary incontinence and eliminate the reasons it provoked there. The only treatment of drugs amenable to involuntary urination occurring at night — enuresis. It is possible to cure certain drugs affecting the psyche and hormonal balance.
In severe severity of the disease, and in case of unsuccessful conservative treatment, surgical methods are used therapy such as:
- Urethrocystoscopy — operation aimed at strengthening and fixation of the bladder and the other organs of the urinary system. This surgery is performed in rare cases.
- Injecting biopolymer gels is a common method of treatment of urinary incontinence. Done quickly and without the use of anesthesia.
- Sling (loop) surgery. Is the most effective method of surgical treatment, in which under the urethra is polypropylene mesh, which closes the urethra when coughing, sneezing, and prevents uncontrolled urination.
What to do for prevention?
Preventive recommendations to prevent the occurrence of incontinence in the postpartum period:
- Timely release of the bladder.
- Do not let appear constipation because excessive straining of anal muscles provokes increased symptoms of uncontrolled urination.
- With the appearance of extra pounds is desirable from them just to get rid of, since excess body weight adds more pressure on the bladder.
- Time to treat the diseases of the urethra (cystitis, urethritis, pyelonephritis).
- In the period of carrying a child should carry medical advice and undergo the necessary tests. They will help to identify the disease at early stages and arrest its development, without causing much discomfort for the mother, and not bringing harm to the fetus.
- You should wear a bandage during pregnancy to maintain the abdominal muscles.
- For prophylaxis is recommended to perform physical exercises to strengthen the vaginal muscles.
Urinary incontinence after childbirth actually painless cure only after consulting your doctor. Otherwise, no surgery is necessary. Timely visit to a medical institution will allow you to resolve the issue, correctly select a therapeutic method, and in the short term to cope with an unpleasant disease.