The sharp smell of urine in a child: causes, how to help
Urine the child almost has no smell, therefore it is not strange that the smell of urine in a child causes concern for parents. It is important to understand when these concerns should be taken into account and when not. Newborn urine does not smell, as they grow older and the introduction of solid foods begins to appear unobtrusive, a soft smell that is similar to the smell of urine of a person senior in age. But what if it smells strongly of medicine (penicillin) or in the urine of the child discovered the acetone?
What smell should be okay?
Newborns urine is a transparent, yellowish color and does not emit any specific odor. In older kids it is a little brighter in color (depending on the food and the amount of fluid you drink), has a distinctive «flavor.» But the smell should not be sharp, specific and cutting scent. Of course, there are occasional cases where the urine smells in children under one year and older. This is due to a slight malfunction of the urinary organs or as a result of the change of a kid’s menu. This situation should not scare parents. But if this situation lasts for several days and the baby is cranky or complaining of feeling unwell, and the urine smells bad, then you need to go to the doctor. Rather, it is a signal of abuse, robots of an organ of the child.
What changes are alarming parents?
The answer to this question is quite simple: «Everything!». Starting to panic moms and dads when their baby urine smells like acetone, ammonia, rotten apples, Apple juice, sour, sharp, «fish», «mouse» or «kotyachi». The smell of urine in infants one month or one year of age has changed a doctor’s consultation. Can lead to anxiety, a strong smell of urine medicines (penicillin).
The smell of ammonia
The most common and the most dangerous is the unpleasant smell of urine gives off ammonia odor. If this happened to your child, then you need to go to the pediatrician. With almost 100% certainty we can say that the child’s health problems. To determine the cause is difficult, because the unpleasant smell indicates a lot of diseases:
- diabetes mellitus;
- infections of the urinary system (cystitis, pyelonephritis);
- with the accumulation of toxic substances.
The smell of acetone
With the increase of ketones in the blood is over its allocation with children’s urine and this leads to an unpleasant smell in the form of acetone. Main reasons are excessive physical and emotional stress. To prevent the appearance of acetone in blood and excrement to prevent hunger and fatigue in the child. In order to prevent the formation of ketones to give the baby sweet.
Smells like stale fish
To alert parents should an unpleasant pungent smell of urine in the child, similar to the «aroma» rotten fish. If odor is not only from urine, and from skin, sweat, air is exhaled by the child, then, most likely, in the body in large amounts accumulated trimethylamine which causes trimethylaminuria. This is a rare genetic disease for which treatment is of great importance correctly selected diet.
The main reasons for the sharp and unpleasant smell of urine in the child
The reasons that make the urine unpleasant for all of us, very much. The most common include:
- Lack of fluid in the body. Often occurs in the hot season, when water is permanently gone and not replenished on time. To solve this problem the easiest — you need more water the child. Also applies to infants who are breastfed or bottle-fed. In the summer it is important to dopisivati baby.
- Taste preferences of the child. Clearly expressed in the transition from breast or artificial feeding at the adult table. Even the unpleasant smell of urine appears when you change the diet and the preference for products with strong odor (onions, garlic, cabbage, sharp, etc.).
- Non-sterile or defective underwear, diaper. To determine whether this is so, you need to compare urine, which is for underwear/diapers with urine collected in a sterile container. If there are differences, then the reason lies in this. To solve the problem is not hard — it is necessary to change the sheets and make of the diaper.
- Adolescents possible hormonal changes. As a result there is a bad smell of urine. This situation is temporary, but still «almost» an adult should teach the proper care of the body.
Diseases of the internal organs
Other causes of urine odor are often health problems:
- if the child before it was ill and took antibiotics or other drugs, the reasons for the unpleasant smell of urine in this;
- much more dangerous are the diseases of the urinary system;
- unpleasant smell of urine in children under years sometimes indicates a lack of vitamin D and possibly on the development of a rickets;
- strange urine that stinks and has acquired a dark color, tells about the problems with the liver.
How to help your child?
If a strange unpleasant odor of urine appeared suddenly, and just as quickly disappeared, the parents should not take any action. Especially in cases when the infants were introduced a new product for feeding or an older child ate a specific product. In any case, a one-time appearance of the stench from the urine does not carry any danger. Another case, when the condition continues for several days. In such a situation a boy or girl you must show pediatrician. He will give direction to the General analysis of urine that will detect deviations in the child’s body.
If the urine has a nasty distinct smell of acetone, to test for the presence of ketone bodies in the body. To really do this at home, having bought in a drugstore a special strip-lights. In the case of confirmation of the presence of ketones, the child should be given foods high in glucose: medications, tea with honey or plain sugar candy. If odor of ammonia, it is urgently important to be tested for the presence of sugar in the blood. If an infant or older child is drinking enough fluid, he may have dehydration. This is a temporary phenomenon, which is very easy to overcome, offering the child more fluids, in particular, pure non-carbonated water. This is especially true in hot weather or when children have vomiting or diarrhea.
The unpleasant smell of stale fish suggests a genetic diseases which cure at home is impossible. But to reduce a bad smell will help a special diet that requires to remove from the diet foods such as dairy products, eggs, liver, beans, peas, peanuts, shellfish, cabbage, and broccoli. But the main thing — any urine odor from a baby first month of life or in infants subsequent months talking about the problems with the child, so do not ignore these symptoms and immediately consult a pediatrician. Do not self-medicate.