Targeted therapy in kidney cancer: a new generation of drugs
Cancer treatment methods are performed surgical removal of the tumor, radiation, immune and chemotherapy. Targeted therapy in kidney cancer, is used in Nephrology since the beginning of the XXI century. Many of the leading oncologists of the opinion that the future victory of medicine over new developments of targeted therapies for cancer treatment.
What is it?
Targeted (targeted) therapy represents a treatment strategy that destroys the «bad» cells with minimal damage to healthy. It is a big plus, when compared to traditional chemotherapy, which is often very heavy to carry. Therefore, targeted therapies in kidney cancer giving the real chance to save or significantly add years of life with cancer. Especially since they prescribe most often when the tumor reached 3-4 degree, and the traditional treatment of kidney cancer has lost its effectiveness.
How does targeted therapy?
The growth of a malignant tumor is caused by the provision its cells with oxygen and nutrition through blood vessels. The word «targeted» dates back to the English target — the target. Targeted therapy known as the target, because her mission — at the molecular level functioning of the tissues of the body, aiming to influence it at malignant cells, preventing the smooth flow to them of those substances, without which they cannot exist and reproduce. But normal cells are not damaged. Targeted drugs is rightly called «smart». Getting right on target, they are able to regulate the cell cycle in the cancer, blocking their growth anomalies «teach» the immune system to distinguish between healthy «good» cells from «bad» and destroy them.
New generation drugs
Today in the treatment of kidney cancer in clinical practice increasingly uses targeted drugs of the latest generation. It inhibitors anginosa and monoclonale antibodies. Name of drugs of the first group put together from the words «inhibitor» (lat. inhibere is to delay) and «angiogenesis» — this is called the formation of new, tiny and large blood vessels in organs and tissues. Figuratively speaking, these funds inhibit the tumor. The choice of drug is influenced by the overall health of the patient and the specificity of the individual case of the disease.
Popular drugs group inhibitors enginesa
Good indicators of the treatment with these inhibitors, such as:
- «Sunitinib» is a trading name of «Sutent» (Sutent). Inhibits the uncontrolled angiogenesis. Is the inside of the 1st capsule within 6 weeks.
- «Sorafenib» (Nexavar) — the trade name «Nexavar». Prevents the growth of the tumor, not allowing her cells to reproduce by dividing. Assigned to the intolerance of «Sutent». Assigned by the 1st tablet for daily use.
- «Pazopanib» (Pazopanibum) — trade name «Votrient». Affects many receptors of target cells, inhibiting their growth. Is inwards to 1 tablet a day.
- «Torisel» (Torizel) — trade name «Temsirolimus». Inhibits and stops the growth of blood vessels in the body of the tumor. This medicine is for intravenous injection in mode 1 time per week.
The drugs group of monoclonal antibodies are effectively
Medications another group monoclonale antibodies that block for other reasons of proliferation of tumor: help T-cells (cell-killers) to recognize and destroy diseased cells, to inhibit the growth of metastases, stopping the progression of the disease, reduce microvascular permeability bodies that are affected by the tumor. The desired product from the group monoklonale body — «Bevacizumab» (Bevacizumabum) — trade name «Avastin». When administered intravenously, 1 time in 14 days it inhibits the growth of the tumor, which diminishes its size. For greater manifestations of the therapeutic effect it is combined with immunotherapy.
The advantages of targeted drugs in the treatment of kidney cancer
Targeted cancer drugs the kidneys is so efficient that only one method of healing — surgery. Therefore, they prefer for inoperable tumors, in kidney cancer metastasis, for prevention of recurrence after surgical treatment, in clinical aprobirovany when other tools lose their effectiveness. In comparison with traditional chemotherapy, alternative medicines have a number of important advantages:
- do not affect normal tissue and cells;
- exhibit a high performance in the impact on the growth and development of tumors;
- valid even on the microscopic metastases that had spread throughout the body;
- improve the quality of life and expectancy even for patients diagnosed with kidney cancer 3-4th degree;
- does not require hospitalization of patients, since most drugs are taken orally;
- there is no need to adjust the dosage with the age.
All drugs have undesirable side effects. Targeted therapy of kidney cancer is no exception. May experience mild headache, fatigue, dry mouth, skin irritation, hair becomes thinner — these symptoms complain by many patients. More severe deviations from the normal state of health in patients occur much less frequently, they are mild and therefore rarely require the complete abolition of drugs. Just need to consult with your doctor on how best to deal with unwanted abnormally. It includes:
- diarrhea (stool violation);
- nausea that can be accompanied by vomiting;
- dermatitis (rashes on the palms and soles);
- focal hair loss;
- jumps in blood pressure;
Hope for recovery
Currently, all the leading Oncology clinics of the world, research institutes conducted extensive work on research, development, testing and implementation of new anticancer drugs. Targeted among them are leading. Developed and tested in practice new methods of targeted therapy of kidney cancer in Nephrology. It gives hope for recovery to those patients recently diagnosed with cancer was a death sentence.