Overactive bladder in women, in men: treatment, symptoms
Disruption of the functioning of the bladder, which is characterized by an irresistible urge urinary called overactive bladder. Most susceptible to pathology of the female gender after 40 years, much less it affects men. Overactive bladder is caused by disruptions in the cerebral cortex, in the Department responsible for urination.
Forms of overactive bladder
In a healthy person, the decrease sphincter of the bladder cavity occurs only during the moment when the bladder is almost completely full.When an overactive bladder occur disorders of the nervous impulses and tissue reduced even in cases of minimal accumulation of urine. The patient has persistent urinary urgency and feeling of a completely filled cavity, and the amount of urine may be just a few drops. The syndrome of overactive bladder is not controlled solely by the efforts of the patient. Often the disease is accompanied by so sharp and strong urges for bowel movement, that man is absolutely unable to control them. These symptoms often force the patients instead of going to a specialist to resort to wear diapers.
Painful bladder syndrome is a 2-form f:
- idiopathic (unable to determine the cause of disease);
- neurogenic (bladder irritation provoked by malfunction of the Central nervous system).
Many people underestimate the connection of the bladder cavity and the Central nervous system. However, the relationship is very strong, often problems with urination are neurogenic in nature. In cases of severe failures still suffer the gastrointestinal tract, and the patient, in addition to constant urinary urgency, pain in the intestine, while remaining completely healthy.
The causes of pathology
Neurogenic causes of overactive bladder:
- diseases of the brain and spinal cord, such as Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, tumors, and stroke;
- injury to the brain and spinal cord;
- congenital abnormalities of the brain;
- lose body alcoholic beverages;
- damage to the nervous system in diabetes mellitus.
Not neurogenic factors in the development of pathology:
- changes in the body due to age;
- diseases of the genitourinary system;
- congenital abnormalities of the urinary cavity;
- failures in a hormonal background.
Symptoms of pathology
Painful bladder syndrome has the following symptoms:
- frequent urinary urge;
- sudden urges to urinate that are difficult to restrain;
- incontinence of urine;
- spontaneous excretion of urine (often with sneezing, coughing, and laughter);
- pain in the process of emptying;
- excretion of urine in drops;
- constant feeling of incomplete emptying of the bladder cavity.
In the pathology of overactive bladder symptoms can manifest as a couple, and individually. Often one manifestation of the disease are only frequent and uncontrollable urinary urges, causing the patient an awkward feeling when he is in public. In particularly complex cases, patients experience a number of psychological difficulties, sometimes even leaving work, so all the time to stay home near the toilet.
Irritable bladder in children
Overactive bladder in children as well as adults, take the form of frequent urinary urges. Up to a certain age category increased urge for bowel movement physically caused, because the kidneys are functioning at a higher mode. On the development of pathology of hyperactivity can only be judged after the child reaches the age of 3-4 years.
Causes of hyperactivity
The development of hyperactivity in children is most often due to neurogenic causes, that is a dysfunction of the area of the Central nervous system responsible for the secretion of urine. Such causes include trauma at birth, pathology in the development of the spinal cord and severe stress. However, to develop giperatidnyi bubble may due to the following factors:
- pathologies of the urinary system;
- inflammatory processes in the urinary cavity;
- frequent constipation;
- excessive fluid intake;
- the abuse of food containing caffeine (chocolate, soda, tea);
Symptoms of hyperactivity
- frequent urinary urgency even when the bladder is not filled;
- incontinence of urine;
- increased muscle tension of the bladder cavity;
- increased urinary frequency at night.
The difference in women and men
In males, the syndrome of overactive bladder is often caused by abnormalities of the prostate. During inflammation or other defects of the prostate increases and exerts a powerful pressure on the bladder cavity. This contributes to the emergence of uchennyh urinary urgency even when the bladder is almost empty. Sometimes irritable bladder is due to nervous tension and malfunction of the nervous system. However, for men it is quite rare, most often pathology is manifested in connection with dysfunction of the prostate.
Overactive bladder in women, most frequently observed in age from 40 years. This is due to age-related changes in the body and decrease in muscle tone of the pelvic floor. In addition, irritation of the bladder in women and is diagnosed during pregnancy. During pregnancy the uterus increases in size and begins to put pressure on the bladder, causing frequent urination.
Complications and consequences
In situations where the treatment of hyperactive bladder was not proper and timely, patients may experience a number of complications and implications:
- A frequent concern due to the possibility to inhibit urinary urge.
- The beginning of depression, which often goes into apathy.
- Sleep disorders.
- The development of congenital abnormalities in the fetus when overactive bladder was diagnosed in pregnant women.
The inflamed overactive bladder involves several types of studies, since symptoms may relate to other diseases, for example, to cystitis and diverticulum. Specialists prescribed to patients the blood and urine tests, an ultrasound study of the urinary system, computer tomography and magnetic resonance imaging. Men and is the prostate.
The final and decisive stage of diagnosis is the assessment of urodynamics, for this resort to uroflowmetry (screening study of the urinary tract), which helps to determine the amount of urine output, flow rate and time of urination. Use cystometry (urodynamics diagnosis of the bladder), through which doctors study the intravesical pressure and the total pressure in the region of the peritoneum when the bladder cavity filled.
Medications to treat hyperactivity?
Treatment of overactive bladder involves the use of such medicines:
- Anticholinergic medicines. The most common pills «Westar» and «Detrusitol».
- Spazmolitiki with anticholinergic activity, for example, «Oxybutynin».
- Tricyclic antidepressants, among which the most effective medication «Imipramine».
Sometimes the specialists to cure and soothe reactive bladder, prescribe medicines from other groups. However, these drugs for the treatment of overactive bladder are not very effective and a sufficient number of side effects. They often appear in the form of dryness in the oral cavity and mucous membranes of the eyes.
For treatment jet bladder sometimes resort to surgical intervention, the most common of which is the denervation of the bladder. When uchennyh the urge to urinate from the intestines make a special additional collection of urine and urinary control processes by the anal sphincter. To methods surgery is rarely performed, and intervention in situations where other therapies were ineffective.
Psychological counseling and behavioral therapy
Treatment of active bladder accompanied by psychotherapeutic treatment. It is especially important in situations where increased urinary urge occur during stress. In addition, resort to the help of behavioral therapy, which is a monotherapy method treatment. Thanks to this therapy, most patients feel significant relief, and almost 20% of patients return to normal life.
Behavioral correction allows you to:
- to accustom the bladder to accumulate large amounts of urine in order to reduce the number of evacuations;
- to make the control over urinary urges.
Before behavioral therapy, the patient will need to maintain a special diary emptying, where you specify how often and how much he was urinating. Diary sometimes becomes an alternative to urodynamic study, if for some reason it’s hard to spend it. After compiling a diary proceed directly to training. Its main task — to visit the sick of the toilet on a schedule, regardless of whether at this point the urinary urge. If the urge to defecation is observed earlier than the scheduled time, the person should wait. Due to this recovering control over the body and bladder learns to accumulate a larger volume of urine, increasing the time between urination.
Therapeutic exercises and Kegel exercises
To treat active bladder is recommended with kegels, which can strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. Consider the most effective:
- You should produce muscle tension thus, as with the termination of urination. The voltage should continue for 3 seconds, after which you can relax.
- Straining the muscles, starting with the minimum of effort, each time slightly increasing it. Execution is performed until, until the maximum voltage. Then the muscles should be relaxed, until you reach the minimum.
- You will need to push as if I want to be emptied.
During the execution of each exercise, it is important to breathe normally. To begin the exercise should be 10 times and continue during the week. After that, each day, the repetitions should be increased to 5 five times until you reach the mark of 30 repetitions. All exercises in the complex, it is important to do every day for 5-th approaches, the desire of a number of approaches you can increase.
In overactive bladder, it is important to adhere to the following rules of supply:
- To limit the consumption of salty and spicy foods, because it acts as an irritant of the mucous membrane of the bladder.
- To give up chocolate and other sweets.
- To control the amount consumed per day of the liquid, reducing its volume.
- Try not to drink 3-4 hours before bedtime.
- Eliminate tea drink, carbonated beverages and beverages containing caffeine.
The treatment of hyperactivity of folk remedies
Bladder medication folk remedies often used in conjunction with drug therapy. The most popular herbal remedies are:
- St. John’s wort. To prepare you need to take 50 grams of dry St. John’s wort and pour it with boiling water. The liquid infused during the day, after which it should be filtered through cheesecloth. Use the infusion instead of tea to quench your thirst.
- Plantain. Need a spoon of dried plantain, which pour a glass of hot water. The fluid is sent to a warm place and leave for about an hour. Then filtered and used a tablespoon before eating 3-4 times a day.
- Dill. Spoon of fennel seeds pour a glass of boiling water and infused for 2 hours, and then filtered. Use the resulting infusion is necessary at once and to resort to it to drink every day in order to relieve the symptoms of the disease.
- Nard. Spoon crushed roots of elecampane, pour a glass of water, put on the stove and boil for about 15 minutes. Then the liquid infused for 2 hours, filtered, and prior to use of flavored honey. Drink infusion before eating 3 spoons.
In addition to medicinal herbs, the healers recommend the use of such recipes:
- Med. A spoonful of honey should eat before going to sleep.
- Honey and onions. The bulb is crushed, add a teaspoon of honey, half an Apple, grated, after the resulting mixture is thoroughly mixed. The slurry is used at a time before eating.
To avoid development of diseases, experts recommend first of all to adhere to an active lifestyle. Person is important often to happen on fresh air and to spend Hiking. Will need to refuse from drinking alcoholic beverages and Smoking. Attention should be paid to prevent the presence of children near the smoker. The male sex it is important to visit a urologist at least once a year, and the female gynecologist in order as soon as possible to identify the development of pathologies of kidneys and urinary system. In cases of the onset of symptoms and changes in health status, it is important to immediately seek the advice of a doctor. Special attention should be paid to monitoring of urine output and avoidance of stressful situations.