Bedwetting in children: treatment, causes
A fairly common problem in the preschool and school age is considered nocturnal enuresis in children. This uncontrolled urine separation in a small or greater extent at night. This problem needs urgent addressing, as over time, in the absence of proper treatment it can grow into a permanent condition. Why is there enuresis and how to treat bedwetting in children?
Types of enuresis
There are two main types of bedwetting:
- Primary enuresis occurs in a child for the first time and is manifested uncontrolled urination at night. This type of enuresis has a mild form of disease and to apply a certain method of treatment is not necessary.
- Secondary — occurs under the influence of some factors (that can be shown, then again to disappear).
Types of enuresis depending on the shape of the flow:
- uncomplicated — the symptoms appear only affecting uncontrolled urination, but otherwise all good health;
- complicated, ill is not only typical symptoms but also affects the internal organs, causing inflammation and some deviations in child development.
Minor varieties of incontinence in children:
- Neurotic enuresis appears in children, who are ashamed and somewhat fearful of his condition. These children have disturbed sleep, as they fear that they can Wake up «wet».
- Neurosis-like enuresis incontinence appears overly nervous and hysterical children. Through adolescence they are not worried about your condition, and then, beginning to understand that it is bad, keep to themselves and shun society.
The causes and the mechanism of action of bedwetting in children
Enuresis can occur in a child in 3 years and 16 years. It can manifest as at night and in the daytime. Enuresis in adolescents causes severe discomfort and a feeling of inferiority, so this condition requires immediate and long-term treatment. Among the reasons that triggered this malaise, there are the following:
- the immaturity of the Central nervous system;
- pathology of the urinary tract and dysfunction of the bladder;
- an inflammatory process triggered by infection or disease of the bladder, kidney or other urinary organs;
- genetic predisposition to disease (genetic factor);
- psychological problems (nervous breakdown, quarrels and scandals in the family, change of school or residence).
Manifestations of nocturnal enuresis is expressed in the following:
- there are frequent urination;
- the child began wetting the bed during sleep;
- occur sleep disorders;
- a nervous breakdown and morally depressed state.
Principles of diagnosis
Diagnosis of this disease is required if the child is 5 years or in the period up to 12 years old started wetting the bed at least 1 time per month. Parents need to seek the advice of a pediatrician, and then to other specialists (pediatric neurologist, gynaecologist or urologist) to determine the cause of illness. The older children are such diagnostic tests:
- delivery laboratory analysis of blood and urine;
- ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder;
- x-rays of the pelvis;
- cystoscopy — examination of the urethra and mucous surface of the bladder;
- uroflowmetry — a test that measures the speed of urine flow.
After carrying out diagnostic inspections and accurate diagnosis the doctor prescribes the child proper treatment, which in the absence of serious pathology of the organs of the urinary tract is carried out at home under the strict supervision of parents. Treatment at home consists of implementing the following recommendations:
- Intake of fluids should not exceed 1.5 liters per day. Do not give to children to drink fluids at night. Banned for drinking diuretic beverages (cranberry juice, Rosa canina) and sweet drinks.
- Proper nutrition. Is necessary 2 hours prior to bedtime. Not to give children foods rich in diuretic, it’s dairy products, fresh fruits, melons, dried fruit.
- Before bed put the baby on the potty and asked to urinate. If the room where the baby is sleeping, it’s dark, leave the night light on and put the pot next to the bed (this is the case, if the kid is afraid of the dark).
- No need to Wake baby in the night and plant in the pot. He has to develop the reflex to get out of bed as needed.
The implementation of these simple recommendations together with treatment interventions will help the child to get rid of nocturnal enuresis and to overcome their fears. Basic treatment includes the whole complex of therapeutic measures, the main ones are: psychotherapy, physiotherapy, medication and folk remedies used to treat nocturnal enuresis.
Therapy through its effects on the child’s psyche, occupies an important place in the cure of enuresis. It helps to establish the disturbed mental condition of the child, to instill in him confidence and a positive attitude for recovery. Neurotic enuresis in preschool children treated with the help of games and distractions for the child (play therapy) from his nervous condition and excessive irritability.
Older children (7 and older) treated with suggestive suggestion — by way of introduction to the hypnotic sleep. This technique is good for eliminate the fear of being ridiculed, gives confidence and promotes a speedy recovery. The main condition of suggestion: the lack of pressure and criticisms of the child regarding his condition. The opposite method of psychological impact on the child, is the requirement to comply with medical recommendations to hard and does not require objection, form.
Drug treatment of enuresis in children is assigned to the case when other treatments are ineffective. The attending physician has the right to appoint the necessary preparations and to set the duration of the therapeutic course. Often for the treatment of nocturnal enuresis in children using such drugs:
- Hormonal: pills under the tongue or drops «Minirin» drops «Adiuretin», solution for injections «Remaster» and other drugs that are similar in composition. Hormonal medications administered in the case when the cause of illness is associated with disorders of hormonal.
- Psychoactive drugs, such as: «Sidnokarb», «Provigil». These drugs have a stimulating effect on the Central nervous system, increase muscle tone of the bladder and organs of the pelvic floor.
- Alpha—blockers: «Allfather», «Alfuzosin», «Doxazosin», «Dalhousie». Prescribed for frequent urination, to correct the work of the bladder.
- Antispasmodics. Used to reduce the painful syndrome and reduction of contractions of smooth muscles the pelvic organs and bladder.
- Therapy homeopathy. Examples of drugs: «belladonna», «Creosote», etc. Homeopathic medicines cure restless sleep have nervous children, incontinence in the daytime and at night.
Physiotherapy treatments used as an important method of treatment of nocturnal enuresis in children:
- magnetic therapy;
Treatment of folk remedies
Children’s incontinence can be treated with folk remedies in the accompanying with other methods of therapy. Here are some recipes of decoctions and infusions of herbs used for getting rid of urinary incontinence in children:
- Take only 1 tsp — dried herbs of mint, sage, centaury. Mix all the herbs and pour 1 liter of boiling water. Leave for 20-30 minutes, then strain and drink ½ Cup 4 times a day before meals. In the evening you can drink this medicine 2 hours before bedtime.
- When night enuresis well take a decoction: mix 1 tsp herb knotweed, 2 tsp St. John’s wort. Pour mixture of 0.5 liters of boiling water, set aside to infuse for 30 minutes. Decanting the resulting liquid, and drink 100 ml 3 times a day before meals. The course of treatment is not less than 10 days. Child 5 years and older children will be able to cure urination broken this healing broth for the shortest possible time.
- Fennel seeds — first aid for bedwetting, they help to regain control over urination, treat incontinence in girls and have a positive effect in eliminating enuresis in boys. Take 1 tbsp dill seed (no slides), pour a glass of boiling water. Insist 15 minutes and drink 2 tablespoons 3-4 times a day for 7 days.
Treatment of children’s bedwetting — a problem requiring a special approach in the selection of worthy therapy. It is important to give the child more time and configure it in a positive way. On time referring to the doctor, and accurately establish the diagnosis, there is a high probability that the treatment will be most easily and quickly bring the desired result.