What kind of doctor will help in the treatment of onychomycosis?
Nail fungus is quite a serious problem so as to get rid of it easy. Having had the disease, the person wants to consult a specialist for professional help. Thus the patient may be ashamed of their problems, believing that it caused by lack of hygiene. Everything else relevant is the question, to what doctor to address.
Who treats nail fungus: mycologist or a dermatologist?
First, it is best to consult a family therapist, who will examine the problem and based on that will recommend the treatment to a specific specialist. In some cases treatment become involved several doctors. Without understanding the problem it is difficult to say who treats nail fungus. The recovery process can attend a dermatologist, based on the collected clinical and laboratory data. However, you need to understand that this doctor is more concerned troubled state of the epithelium than pathologies of Horny plates.
Before you go to work, dermatologist studies:
- how to treat skin diseases infectious and viral etiology;
- how to restore tissue after exposure to fungal pathogens.
In this regard, the technician can take treatment of the problem, especially since it, unlike the mycologist can be found in any clinic. He will give advice and if necessary refer to another doctor. It will be good if when the disease that is mycologist will be adapted to the scheme of further treatment, as this person professionally involved in this issue, studying its ultrastructure and systematics.
The doctor then examines the collected flakes under the microscope, but he will not be able to recognize the type of onychomycosis, but at this stage recommend an antifungal means broad-spectrum. Bacterial seeding of the obtained material are usually ready in a few days. With it confirmed the final diagnosis and the opportunity to test the sensitivity of the fungus to different medications. This study is called a culture and allows you to assign a more effective therapy. DNA diagnostics allows to detect dermatophytes and yeast fungi, and mold agents to recognize with it could not. However, she is accurate and fast (the performance within two days). To offer this diagnostic option today may not each clinic, since it requires special equipment. This method of research in Russia is still insufficiently widespread.
Important! Together with the treatment must respect the principles of relapse prevention.
On the duration of the course is uncertain, as it depends on the type of pathogen and shape of the lesion of the nail. If no aggravating factors, the effectiveness can be observed after 2-3 weeks. To resolve the problem, apply the following methods:
- local therapy;
- a systemic treatment;
- removal of a nail;
- the use of national resources;
- addressing comorbidities.
It involves the use of antifungal ointments and creams. Such treatment is a separate or combined (joint pills). Be aware that the use of local funds does not eliminate the fungus deep in the nail, so it is possible the appearance of relapses. The indications for local therapy may have the following indicators:
- the spread of the fungus on the lower part of the nail;
- the presence of spot lesions in multiple foci;
- distal-Laterna form of lesions;
- the lack of significant changes in the shape of the nail.
- contraindications to systemic medications.
Furthermore, this form of treatment has virtually no contraindications, as active components of drugs not enter the bloodstream. This reduces the frequency of side effects and complications and, if necessary, therapy may be extended.
- the defeat of the entire nail plate;
- the destruction of the nail;
- the involvement of the root in the process of exposure to pathogens;
- the combination of several types of fungi;
- additional lesions of the skin;
- the ineffectiveness of local therapy (local recovery).
Most antifungal medicines have side effective, which is especially dangerous with prolonged use. So choose the therapy can only be a doctor. Most often he recommends that:
Removal of a nail
Today it is rarely used. Indicators can be:
- accession bacterial infection;
- the lack of results when using medicines.
In the first case without removing contaminates neighboring tissues, which provokes the formation of pus, accumulates and the occurrence of the inflammatory process. You must understand that even when you remove the nail the problem is completely solved, so it is recommended to continue the course of treatment prescribed by the specialist. Today there is an alternative to this surgical process. It’s called «avulse» and is an artificial dissolution of the nail. This is Multivit drug and its analogues. The method is carried out at home, however, it is recommended for use only after consultation with your doctor.
Currently, it is recommended quite often and is effective:
- irradiating the affected nail by a laser with adjustable intensity;
- promotes penetration into the body tissues and destroy the fungus;
- used as alternative to topical treatment;
- has no side effects;
- combined with systemic antifungal drugs.
- Garlic is ground up and poured alcohol in the ratio of 10:1. The infusion is placed in a dark place for 2-3 days. They recommended to lubricate the nails 1-2 times daily, avoiding contact with skin.
- Garlic rubbed and mixed with boiling water in a ratio of 1:2. The mixture vzbaltyvayut, filtered. It is placed cotton wool or a bandage and binds to the nail for half an hour every day.Water and crushed peppermint leaves are mixed in equal proportions. This also added 1 tsp salt per Cup of liquid. This team processed every day nails and skin around them.
- In a glass of alcohol is lowered to 10 g of fresh flowers of lilac. The composition is removed in a dark place for a week. They are encouraged to handle healthy nails after therapeutic interventions.
- 1.5 liters of boiling water mixed with 200 g of dried leaves of celandine. The composition of the insist to cool, it is recommended that slow stirring. Need daily to do a ten-minute bath, dropping the liquid arms and legs with damaged nails.
- 40 g series is mixed with 500 ml of water, brought to a boil and left to simmer for 20 minutes. A decoction is used for the daily twenty-minute baths.
Treatment related health problems
When a person is especially prone to spread of the fungus. In this regard, the patient must carry out:
- vitamins for chronic stomach problems;
- the maintenance of leukocytes at a high level with HIV infection;
- pressure control in case of problems with the heart and blood vessels;
- maintaining glucose at the right level for diabetes;
- to avoid hypothermia when Raynaud’s syndrome.
- consultation — 1000-2000 rubles;
- check out the house — from 6000 rubles;
- the purpose of the scheme of treatment is 2000-3000 rubles;
- dermatoscopy — 1000-1500 rubles;
- excision and removal of subcutaneous/nadkarni elements to 1000.
To completely get rid of the problem, it is necessary to observe preventive measures and instructions prescribed by the doctor. Only a full application of all the above techniques together with them will reduce the possibility of relapse.