Sebaceous cyst — what is it and its treatment on the hair of the head
What is a sebaceous cyst: symptoms and treatment
Tumor formation, which refers to epidermal cysts, called an atheroma. In its histological structure sebaceous cyst on the head and other parts of the body is divided into several varieties. However, they all have the same clinical manifestations and are treated according to the same methodology, so they are considered in a single category, called atheroma. In our article, we will discuss the symptoms, causes and treatments.
- What is atheroma?
- Treatment of atheroma
- Removal of sebaceous cysts
What is atheroma?
First look into the details, sebaceous cyst – what is it? Externally there is a rounded subcutaneous education, which is inside a capsule filled with a thick yellowish or whitish masses. The contents of atheroma usually has a rather unpleasant odor. The content of the cyst is a protein keratin, produced by the walls of the capsule.
Though the photo sebaceous cyst looks the same, there are following types of these tumors:
- multiple steatocystoma;
- trichilemmal cyst;
- epidermal cyst;
- retention cyst (develops when there is a blockage of the sebaceous glands).
Usually the sebaceous cyst is diagnosed in 5-10 percent of the population. It is hereditary and sporadic. Most often, these tumors appear in women. They are also more characteristic of middle age than young people.
If human atheroma, it is the photo easy to understand. It normally occurs on areas of the body where hair grows, so it is often diagnosed sebaceous cyst of the scalp. But it is possible sebaceous cyst on the hand, the face (usually below the mouth), the back. Also you might find sebaceous cyst under the arm, not the neck and in the area of the genitals.
Though various atheroma in the photo look the same, there are different causes of this disease. Sebaceous cyst on the head and other parts of the body can occur for the following reasons:
Looks like a sebaceous cyst, you can see from the photo, but we also describe characteristic symptoms of this disease. If the tumor is localized on the head, most often (in 70% of cases) are diagnosed with multiple tumors, only 30% of cases are sporadic education. When multiple entities have a 10 percent of patients the number may exceed ten.
If we talk about what is atheroma, in most cases it is manifested by the following symptoms:
- this is a superficial mobile tumor;
- the main symptoms are painless tight-elastic education;
- the skin over the tumor unchanged.
However, sometimes education can become inflamed, and in this case, the symptomatology is complemented by the following features:
- the skin over the tumor blush;
- if there has been a rapid growth festering tumour, the skin over her ulcerate.
Quite often in the Central part of the convexity on the skin, you may notice advanced clogged sebaceous duct. Sometimes there is long duration of the disease, when the tumor has not changed for many years. Often there is a gradual growth or abscess. There are also cysts that have a message with a skin surface through a small hole. He occasionally separated whitish or yellowish thick, unpleasant smell that.
Attention! It is important to differentiate the disease from other soft tissue tumors, e.g., dermoid cysts, fibromas, lipomas, osteomas.
Dangerous complication of atheroma is their festering. In this case, with pain, swelling, swelling increases, and the skin turns red. If treatment is not carried out, infection may itself break. This releases saloobrazny and purulent fetid contents. When the spread of infection to surrounding tissue develops cellulitis, therefore, is antibiotic therapy. In the case of suppuration of the shown urgent surgery, which consists in the opening of the abscess and insertion of drains. In this case, the cosmetic effect will be worse, as the seam does not apply. In addition, completely remove the capsule will not work, so the disease can give a relapse.
Treatment of atheroma
Is to say that conservative methods of treatment do not exist. The tumor is only necessary to remove. You can also use the following removal methods atheroma:
Important! To after surgery the disease were not given the recurrence, it is necessary to remove the capsule. It is not a tool that is excision (scalpel, laser or radio waves), and correctness of operation.
Removal of sebaceous cysts
Removal of sebaceous cysts on the head or other parts of the body is held in one of three ways:
- First is a careful dissection of the skin without damaging the capsule. Thereafter, the skin with atheroma move to the side, and the cyst husk, pushing on the edges of the wound.
- When removing large tumors over the tumor, make two incisions that must skirt the hole of the cyst. The edges of the incisions to tighten the clamps, and the capsule having edges, special curved scissors. Capsule husk with scissors. The bleeding is minimal. After that impose separate seams on the subcutaneous tissue and skin. Lower yourself absorbed, and the top is removed after 7-11 days. Cosmetic suture is possible to make deleting of small entities.
- With the aim of reducing the volume of the tumor and the size of the incision before husking can be removed the contents of the cyst. After this, the incision may reach 3-4 mm in length.
During the operation on the scalp should be cut off the hair over the tumor. As a rule, the head wound is not closed with bandages on other parts of the body bandage. The wound can not be wet for two days after surgery. Its surface is always cleansed with antiseptic.