Mycologist doctor — who is this and what disease cures
Doctor who is a mycologist?
Fungi is a frequent problem faced by people. To overcome the fungus, you need to have more knowledge about it, which created the science of Mycology. Science deals with the study of fungi, their effects on humans, a cure for the diseases caused by these microorganisms. In this article you can find out who is a mycologist, cure any disease engaged a specialist when to see a doctor and what types of diagnostics conducted by the mycologist.
- Who is a mycologist?
- What illness is cured by a mycologist?
- When should I contact the mycologist?
- The types of diagnostics that are used by mycologists
Who is a mycologist?
Mycologist is a physician who has received higher education, which initially receives a specialty – dermatology. Mycology is closely related venereologists, dermatologists, studying fungal diseases, lesions of the fungi of the skin-derived human skin (hair, nails).
The first task of a mycologist, when it turned a sick person to identify the cause of the disease, the source. After identifying the source of the disease, which can be moulds, yeast lesions, the physician identifies the type of microorganism, assigns effective medicines antimycotic therapy. To the doctor to seek advice for the prevention of fungal infections. Mycologist, as a dermatologist, should be able to distinguish fungal infection from diseases caused by other factors, even if they have the same clinical picture.
What illness is cured by a mycologist?
Mycologists – doctors who treat:
- Onychomycosis. Is characterized by changes in the nail plate due to fungus-dermatofita, or other fungi. To treat the disease have on the continuation of a long time (3 months a year);
- Actinomycosis. A pathogen – radiant fungus affecting different parts of the human body, often the face, neck, upper, and lower jaw. The treatment is carried out in the hospital, the treatment – surgical treatment of the affected areas, further conservative therapy;
- The cellulitis. The etiology of the disease has not been elucidated, there are some hypotheses about the influence of fungi on the disease development. Panniculitis is characterized by the lesion of the subcutaneous fat, acute inflammatory reactions;
- Aspergillosis. Pathogens – fungi of the genus Aspergillus. The organism infects the internal organs, mainly the lungs, the bronchi. When the penetration of fungi hematogenous route, a person experiences severe complications;
- Mukormikoz. Pathogens – fungi. When the penetration into the human body, affect the cerebral hemispheres, the nose. The disease is often lethal.
- Fungal pneumonia. Pathogens – molds, yeasts, endemic dimorphic fungi, pnevmotsisty. When the disease is a deep damage to the lung tissue;
- Paronychia. Called yeast-like fungi. Striking nail rollers, and surrounding tissues;
- Candidiasis, lesions of the organ systems, individual internal organs fungi that belong to the yeast. Candidiasis affects the mucous membranes of the mouth, nails, intestines, male, female external sex organs. In women, severe forms of candidiasis are switching from external to internal sexual organs, causing complications;
- Pityriasis versicolor. The disease is the result of lesions of the skin by the yeast-like fungi;
- Dermatosis, skin itching.
These are the most common diseases that are treated by a doctor mycologist. In addition to these diseases, in practice, mycologists meet other mycotic lesions of the human body with which the physician has to cope.
When should I contact the mycologist?
When to consult a mycologist? Given the more narrow the specialty of the physician should immediately consult a dermatologist, if needed, will direct to a specialist mycologist.
Under what symptoms should contact the doctor:
- the appearance of a large number of dandruff, if previously this was not observed;
- itchy areas of the scalp, body;
- the skin cracks, flakes;
- appear on the skin sores;
- abnormal color of the nail plate, its discharge, stratification;
- exfoliation of the skin, accompanied by the rupture.
Nail diseases often caused by mycotic lesion, due to which nail is carefully monitored.
Given the clinical picture of the diseases that cause the mushroom not to notice them difficult. From minor itching, redness, small lesions of the skin, the inflammatory process goes on large areas of skin, causes severe itching, burning, discomfort. To contact the mycologist is, when the first symptoms. Fungal growth has a negative effect on the skin, the body’s defense system, enables the penetration of secondary infection, therefore, delay the treatment is not worth it.
During the reception, mycologist listens to complaints, inspect skin, hair, nails, assesses the overall condition of the patient, puts the preliminary diagnosis. In a patient taking a scraping of skin for laboratory analysis, confirmation of the diagnosis.
The types of diagnostics that are used by mycologists
Diagnostic methods that use mycologists, help to prove that the person is sick with a fungal infection. Kinds of methods:
Express diagnostics makes it possible to receive result within a few hours, this type of diagnosis is performed in severe cases when you need to get a quick result, or at the request of the patient. When other methods of diagnosis get the result within a week.
It should be remembered that the first symptom – a signal that the time to consult a mycologist. The doctor has a narrow specialization, many diagnostic techniques and methods will help to cure fungal disease, choosing the most effective means for the treatment of mycosis.