Hemangioma in infants and its causes
Symptoms of hemangioma in infants and methods of treatment
Hemangioma in newborns is a benign tumor that develops from the large and small blood vessels. The tumor has a white or bright red patches on the skin edges are jagged, towering above the surface of the epidermis. Hemangioma in newborns is quite common, according to statistics, the defect is recorded in 10% of children, regardless of gender. To accommodate can a hemangioma in infants on the face, eyelid, neck and other areas usually affects skin of the scalp, less often other parts of the body.
- Types of hemangiomas
The reasons for hemangioma in the newborn is developing, are not yet known, but most scientists agree that the root of all evil in improper fetal development of the baby. Impact the improper formation of blood vessels in the embryo can:
- SARS mothers during gestation;
- rhesus conflict of mother and child;
- the use of antibiotics during pregnancy;
- family history;
- the bad ecological situation in the zone of residence of the pregnant woman;
- hormonal imbalance during pregnancy and diseases of the endocrine system of the mother.
The causes are purely internal, never observed the development of this benign tumor in the process of life. If the hemangioma is evident in older age, all the same, the reason lies in the improper development of blood vessels.
After the birth of a child during the first year in infants the intensification of growth of the tumor, but after 2 — 3 years, the tumor begins to decrease, and in most cases it disappears by itself.
Types of hemangiomas
Depending on the location and structure of tumors, noted these types of hemangiomas:
- cavernous -composed of dilated vessels and cavities that are filled arterial or venous blood. The tumor is soft to the touch, is localized in the surface layers of the skin. Good local treatment. This type of tumor is found on the skin, but can affect the organs parenchymatous type. Cerebral hemangioma leads to death in the first three years in 97% of cases. The tumor in the liver is dangerous because when rupture may lead to hemorrhage into the abdominal cavity;
- capillary — develops from the small capillaries of the dermis, which rarely affects the lower layers of the skin. The tumor located on the skin surface, slightly inclined, rarely gives hemorrhage. In diameter exceeds 1 cm, lighter than the color of the education, the safer it is for the child;
- combined — is considered the most dangerous, because it is often confused with capillary tumor is harmless, and while the doctors did nothing, the tricky part hemangiomas may infiltrate the adjacent organs;
- racemosa is a rare form of the disease, it consists of climbing of blood vessels that is localized, usually in the scalp and on the extremities of the child.
Treatment of hemangioma will depend on its type, as well as from its location, therefore, the definition of the type of neoplasm is one of the most important stages.
Parents, it is important to know how does the hemangioma, so they can promptly seek help in the presence of a characteristic clinical picture. In children with hemangioma, the skin looks stretched to the site of the lesion, in most cases, the tumor consists of many small red dots, resembling the pricks of a needle, but is clearly localized in one place.
It is very easy to distinguish a hemangioma from other tumors, you simply click on reddened skin area with your finger and release if in the first few seconds, skin pale, then it is valid hemangioma. If not, you need to pass additional diagnostics, it is likely that it is a birthmark. Another characteristic feature is the point that during a screaming or crying child, spot increases in size or changes its color, become more bright.
The tumor does not cause pain, if you touch the spot, it may be noted that the temperature of the skin there a little bit higher than in other areas. Cavernous hemangioma, can be localized under the skin and not change the color of the outer cover. It forms a kind of seal under the skin in the muscles. The diameter of such tumors may reach 5 cm is Localized the tumor in different places, but her favorite place is the head. The tumor can affect the eye — placed in the region of the century, mouth — located on the mucosa of the lips, and even to grow near the ear. These lesions are not considered favorable, as the tumor is in material breach of the baby’s sight, his speech and hearing.
How to treat a hemangioma will tell you qualified on the basis of examination of your baby. It is important to note the time that no doctor will prescribe removal of the tumor in 50 cases of hemangioma goes away. The main technique of treatment in this case is supervision. Surgical treatment can be assigned if:
- hemangioma on the oral mucosa and prevents the baby to eat properly;
- education on the eyelid or directly into the ear;
- it is noted the growth of tumors;
- if the child was 5 years old, and hemangioma, and not passed.
Today, there are many innovative methods of removing moles, most of them do not require excision of the skin and is less traumatic. Is often used laser therapy. It is the impact of the laser beam on the tumor. Laser layer-by-layer burning of the cells that form the defect, the remaining areas of healthy skin, it does not affect. The procedure lasts half an hour, after which the parents and child can go home.
Sclerotherapy is widely used in the treatment of varicose veins, and other vascular diseases, good effect it gives in this case. If there is a cavernous tumor, doctors with a special instrument introduced into the vessels of the sclerosing substance. The sclerosant causes the walls of blood vessels forming a tumor, glued together and dry up, and the blood begins to circulate through other healthy veins.
Cryosurgery is used if the hemangioma is formed on the face, as this procedure leaves no scar. Manipulation is the impact on the hemangioma with liquid nitrogen. Under the action of low temperatures, cells are destroyed and on the site of the lesion formed a small scab. From him throughout the week will be allocated to the water, but it is considered normal. Two weeks later, the scar itself will wither and fall off.
Many parents wonder why it is impossible to treat with drugs, the fact that the hemangioma is a pathology of development, it is not reversible, no medicine is able to unravel the choroid plexus that formed the child.
A hemangioma is a kind of test of parental patience, because if the baby have any swelling in a conspicuous place, then all the friends will look at it and understand what moms want, as quickly as possible to remove the defect. Be patient, not worth the extra time to aggressively invade into the body, especially if it’s the body of a small child. Stipulating with their mothers question about what to do if there is a hemangioma, it is possible to say that it’s best just to wait, nature will do everything itself, you only need not to lose sight of the slightest changes in the tumor and in a timely manner to seek help if it happened.