Eyelid xanthelasma — what it is and its causes
What is eyelid xanthelasma: symptoms and treatment
One of the unpleasant dermatologic problems for older patients is eyelid xanthelasma. Such education does not constitute a danger to human health, but physiologically inconvenience. Why formed of such a growth on the eyelids and how to deal with it, understand the material below.
- Xanthelasma: definition
- Causes xanthelasmas
- Symptoms of pathology
- Treatment xanthelasma
- Removal of xanthelasmas
For those interested in the origin of xanthelasmas and what it does not know, should know xanthelasmas called benign eyelid eye. The shape of this outgrowth often curved. In some cases, it may be vague with a tendency to the formation of oval shape. Color eyelid xanthelasmas — yellow. In General, the formation looks like a plaque on the upper or lower eyelid. Xanthelasma can be both flat and convex. Sizes can vary from 3 mm to 50 mm. the surface of the xanthelasma formation can be either smooth or wrinkled depending on the turgor of the skin of the patient.
Important: not a single case of rebirth xanthelasmas in malignancy. However, to remove it still stands as a cosmetic defect, literally, is obvious.
Today doctors and scientists have not identified exact causes of the appearance of xanthelasmas on the eyelids. But it highlighted a number of precipitating factors that may promote the formation of such growth. Aggravating factors are:
- The excess weight of the patient;
- The peak form of hypothyroidism in adults that develops against the backdrop of critical shortage of the hormone TSH;
- Diabetes mellitus, in which body there is a serious shortage of insulin. This means that the concentration of glucose in the blood rises;
- Inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis);
- Critical concentration of cholesterol in the body of the patient;
- Kidney disease degenerative (lipoid necrosis);
- Heredity (if the disease develops in children, which is very rare).
Important: a long-term study to identify the reasons for the formation of growths on the eyelids allow us to assert that xanthelasmas are harbingers of cardiac diseases, atherosclerosis and myocardial infarction.
Symptoms of pathology
In most cases xanthelasma on the eyelid is developing quite slowly. While its growth may start from the formation of the size of the bead and end with a formation size of a bean. While most xanthelasma is localized on the eyelids. If the build-up formed on the lower eyelid, it is called xanthomas. In this case, does not exclude the existence of xanthomatosis in the hands of the patient. But analysis of the cells of the growths of both species we can safely say that education is completely identical.
Growths on the eyelids in the majority of cases are found in patients older than 40 years. At the touch of such plaque is soft and even friable. In some cases the upper or lower lid may be formed from a few plaques that form a kind of tape made such Wens. In order to figure out the exact cause of the build-up, the patient need to consult a dermatologist, ophthalmologist, and endocrinologist. These specialists will prescribe the best methods of diagnosis by ksant and xanthelasma.
Important: xanthelasmas, removal of which preferably are formed more often in women (70% of cases). In men, the disease occurs less frequently.
To treat growths on the eyelids as you can in specialized clinics method of removal and application of folk methods. It is worth remembering that if you decide to treat yourself xanthelasma, it is necessary to coordinate this with your doctor. Basically the tactics of national treatment aims at the improvement of metabolism and the stabilization of the lipid metabolism (i.e. will need to neutralize the violation of lipid in the body). It is necessary to stabilize the functioning of the liver, gallbladder and bile ducts. Particularly for home treatment of plaques on the eyelids eye you can use the following tools:
- Birch buds. Here, 20 g of raw materials needed to brew in one Cup of boiling water. Means insist 15-20 minutes, then tsedyat. Take this infusion three times a day for two tablespoons.
- Dandelion. From the root of a plant make a broth and then a teaspoon of ready-made products mixed with a glass of water. Take this remedy three times a day.
- Yarrow. To prepare healing means you need to take 2 tbsp of dry plants, pour a glass of boiling water. About an hour means insist, then tsedyat. The entire volume of the infusion should be divided into four parts and drink during the day before meals.
- The herbs rosehip, peppermint and Helichrysum. Herbs in equal parts (100g.) pour boiling water (700 ml) and boil on low heat for 1-2 minutes. Then insist broth for another 3 hours. Drink four times a day 150 ml before meals.
Important: it is worth remembering that in the home xanthelasma to clean without removing is not often. Treatment of xanthelasmas folk remedies may be effective only at the initial stage of the formation of the plaque when it is still very small. Thus, it is possible to stop its growth.
Removal of xanthelasmas
When you access a dermatologist doctor in most cases advised to remove education. Especially that today there are many quick and painless ways to get rid of build-up in the conditions of specialized clinics. Removal of xanthelasmas use one of these workarounds:
- Laser removal. The growth impact directional laser beam, with the result that all the liquid is evaporated from plaques and its tissue secretiruyutza. In place of xanthelasmas is only a small crust that disappears after 2-3 days. The advantages of this method of removing plaque include painless and bloodless procedure, no scarring on the eyelid and absence of the postoperative period.
- Cryosurgery. Or impact on the plaque with liquid nitrogen. On xanthelasma drip the liquid nitrogen, causing it wimobaiausy completely. After removal of the plaque with liquid nitrogen scarring remains.
- Electrocoagulation. Used in conjunction with a surgical method of removing plaque. That is, the edges of the wound prizhivayutsya current, which allows for a bloodless healing of the wound.
- Radiowave removal of eyelid xanthelasmas. In this case, the tip of the surgical instrument serves high-frequency waves, resulting in strong heating and the consequent evaporation of liquid from the tumor. Xanthelasma completely dies. The procedure is painless.
- Classic surgical excision of the plaque. This method can apply in case, if according to the testimony of the patient should take growths one of the above ways. In the surgical excision of the growth on the eyelid the patient receives local anesthesia in the form of a solution of trimecaine and novocaine. Remove plaque with a pair of scissors, taking out her tweezers. Then the edges of the resulting wound cauterizing current (assuming a large diameter wound). If xanthelasma was narrow and in this century a sufficient number of loose skin, the doctor can use for processing iron polutorakratnoe. In rare cases with a very extensive wound specialist may impose a hairline seam on the lid. Crust sores disappears by 5-7 days after the surgery. Take care of the resulting wound with a solution of manganese or brilliant green.
It is understood that whatever method the excision of the outgrowth of the century, neither was elected, it is necessary first to find the root cause of its formation and neutralize it. Otherwise, even if properly xanthelasma remove unsightly plaque will return again and again. Furthermore, a patient faced with the formations on the eyelids, it is advisable to revise your diet to include more plant foods and less greasy.