Chicken pox — symptoms and treatment in children: the first signs
The symptoms of chickenpox in children and treatment
The disease has a droplet transfer method and is invoked particularly contagious herpes virus called varicella-zoster. The causative agent of the disease is not only volatile, but also very persistent, so it can easily move from one room to another by staircases and ventilation systems. Chickenpox in children may occur even if the neighboring group in the kindergarten appeared sick or in your entryway on the lower floor, somebody got sick. In our article we will tell you all about chicken pox and how she is treated.
- Methods of infection
- Forms of the disease
Methods of infection
The herpes virus spreads very quickly in any children’s group (kindergarten, school). He was particularly active in the offseason, when can cause the whole epidemic. As flows the chickenpox in children is much easier and faster than adults, the disease is better to move a child. But chickenpox in adolescents and adults may last longer, it is heavier and is often accompanied by many complications.
Important: once transferred, the chickenpox in children provides strong lifelong immunity. However, 3% of the population ill with chicken pox and the rash can appear again when the immune deficiency.
Often chickenpox in children appear in the younger preschool age. In the newborn the symptoms of the disease appear only if the mother was not ill informed. Chickenpox in adolescents and school-aged children is less common. The same can be said about adults. They symptoms are even rarer. In any case, it is useful to know what is chicken pox in the initial stage, how is it treated, and what preventive measures can be used.
Before we look at the signs of chickenpox in a child, we will understand how the infection occurs. Varicella-zoster enters the bloodstream through the mucous membranes of the respiratory system and eyes. In this case, after infection the first symptoms of chickenpox in children and adults visible only after 10-21 days. Interestingly, the chickenpox in children often begins to emerge after 9-10 days, and chickenpox in adolescents and adults has a longer latent period and can be felt in three weeks.
Attention! Throughout the incubation period before the first signs of chickenpox in baby, toddler can be a source of infection. The child may appear healthy and be active, but to be a threat to others.
The most contagious the child becomes two days before appearing the rash of chickenpox. Chickenpox in children becomes inactive phase on the sixth day after was seen last rash. Treatment of chickenpox in children is carried out in complete isolation of the sick kid from the children’s team. From the moment you receive the rash of chickenpox, the quarantine lasts 10 days.
If your child has chickenpox, the symptoms and treatment in children, we will consider further in our article. This disease, like chickenpox, in most cases, the same is manifested in children, adolescents and adults.
The windmill in the photo initial stage:
Starts as chicken pox in children – the first signs:
in the picture the windmill in the active phase.
As the disease, we understood, equally important, how to identify chicken pox in the secondary stage:
- If your child has chickenpox, the initial stage takes place in three days. At this time the rash starts to dry up and be covered by the epithelial crust. The undulating course of the disease, that is, every few days will appear a new minor rash. And before a new portion of the rash that causes chickenpox in children, the symptoms are muscle aches, fever and rise in temperature are repeated.
- This active phase of the disease can, on average, last about a week. Thereafter, new lesions cease to appear, blisters spontaneously opened and dry up with the formation of the crust. These reddish brown to a week to disappear.
Important! On the sixth day after the last acne is considered to be that the body has developed antibodies to this virus completely defeated the infection, and acquired lifelong immunity.
After recovery on the skin for some time still barely noticeable pinkish pigmentation, which also eventually completely goes away. However, if the child during brushing bubbles have the infection, you can join a secondary bacterial infection. At the same time on the skin can be a characteristic scars for life. Bacterial infection rash after chicken pox photos:
Forms of the disease
It may be clear, how does the chickenpox in children. However, there are different forms of this disease. Thus, in medicine there are two varieties of varicella: atypical and typical. Symptoms last forms we have described above. In turn, the atypical variety of the disease is divided into these subtypes:
- hemorrhagic – this subspecies is characterized by lesions in the nasopharynx, and the mucosa of the stomach, it is accompanied by strong intoxication, nasal and intestinal bleeding, high fever (there is a risk of death);
- rudimentary is the easiest variant, which is accompanied by the minimum number of lesions, fever, headaches and fever (this form can be kept at very strong immunity or genetic resistance to the virus);
- gangrenous subspecies is characterized by formation of areas of necrosis and deep ulcers, the disease is complicated by the accession of a bacterial infection (this form is especially dangerous for pregnant women);
- visceral – this species is sometimes diagnosed in preterm babies, when it affects the internal organs and the Central nervous system, the disease is accompanied by severe intoxication and can lead to death.
All complicated by an atypical form of the disease is usually diagnosed in adults, so if your child has chicken pox in 2 years, you can not worry. Children are much easier to tolerate the disease and recover faster without any complications. That’s why it’s better to contract this disease in childhood.
Tip: the only effective measure of prevention of the disease chicken pox in adolescence and in adulthood is vaccination. It does not guarantee full protection, but even in the case of infection by herpes virus the disease will be much easier and without complications.
Specific treatment does not exist. All activities are aimed at relief of symptoms. Recommend:
- to comply with bed rest;
- often to change linen and to adhere to the rules of hygiene;
- drinking enough liquids to reduce toxicity;
- shown easy fast utilizable food.
The attending physician may prescribe the following medications:
Attention! It is forbidden to take during the illness aspirin to reduce fever. This can lead to complications.
The treatment of severe varicella is performed in a hospital. This used the integrated therapy with the use of antiherpetic medications such as Acyclovir or Zovirax. Also patients prescribed interferon and immunoglobulin.